Tuesday, March 16, 2010

What a difference a year makes

Here's a recent shot of Lil.


And here she is just under a year ago.


Isn't it nuts?

She's turning in to quite the little (opinionated) person. She's totally obsessed with the color blue--draws only in blue, wants to eat only with a blue spoon, from a blue bowl. Is much more willing to get dressed if the clothes are blue (thank God for blue jeans). She asks us, "How was your day?" at the dinner table. Calls us Mom and Dad, and sometimes Kate and Scott. She's on the verge of a lot of changes. She's ready to get out of the crib, and she's asking to use the potty (although she doesn't actually *use it* just yet--just sits there a while). We're holding off on instituting any big changes until the baby arrives, but it won't be long now before she's sleeping in a bed and wearing big girl panties.

Speaking of the baby's arrival, he's officially due a week from Friday. He's dropped some and we basically have everything we need to clothe and care for him once he's here. It's not exactly a waiting game yet, as there are still some things I'd like to take care of before he gets here, but it's not gonna be too long either. (Please God, don't let me be jinxing myself.) One of our neighbors had a baby last week and we've been over to visit twice, and Lil is really transfixed by the baby--wants to see her umbilical cord and basically just stare at her--so I'm taking it as a good sign. And I don't know if this is nonsense or what, but when Lil was learning to crawl she would do downward dog all the time (I even posted a pic of it). And when Pansy, our Jamaican sitter would see her doing it, she would say, "Lillian is looking for her brother." Apparently, in Jamaica when kids look between their legs like you do in downward dog legend has it the mom will be pregnant again soon. Lil stopped doing it last year, but these last few days she's been doing it several times a day again. Coincidence??

1 comment:

Poppy said...

I dunno. I don't believe much in coincidence. There is much wisdom packaged in with all the folklore out there.

I actually see more similarities in her face this year and last than differences. Either way, she's as cute as cute can be.

Can't wait to see her again and go look for helicopters down by the East River when it's not -14 degrees outside! : >