Monday, March 29, 2010

The latest

A little bit of Teddy news, if you can call it that. I had a doctor's appointment today, which is technically three days past my due date. Although, since Lil was a full 14 days past her due date, I would say we're not even in the category of late yet. But I digress.

The doctor said that things were about as far along as they were last week, which is to say not particularly, and recommended that I do something called a bio something to make sure the baby is still thriving -- it basically consists of an ultrasound on the fancy machine and something hilariously called the "non-stress test", which consists of strapping two fetal monitors to my belly and seeing how well/if the baby responds--kind of like an EKG complete with a little print-out that looks like a seismograph. We did the non-stress test first and from the very first second that she put the first monitor on my skin, Teddy started kicking. You could see it from across the room. She got me all strapped up and said "generally we give the moms a button to click every time the baby moves, but you would just be pushing it all the time so I'm not even going to hand it to you." Then she left me to my Kindle (where I started reading a fabulous book, City of Thieves) and I lay there while the Lord of the Dance went to town. The test is supposed to last 20 minutes. After 10 minutes, another nurse came in to check on me and took one look at the print out and said "Woah! That is one active baby!" She then left the room and came back about three minutes later. When she saw that Teddy was still at it, she said "I'm going to go ahead and call this a successful test--I've never seen such a reaction before." As she was unstrapping me the doctor came in and looked confused -- why was she unstrapping me when all the time hadn't passed? Then he looked at the print out and literally jumped up in the air an inch or too. "Wow! I've never seen anything like it!" First part of test, aced.

Then I had the sonogram and there is plenty of amniotic fluid, the baby's heart rate is strong (in the mid 150s), he only weighs 7 pounds 5 ounces (I don't really believe they can tell this with any accuracy, despite the fanciness of the machine, but still take heart that he is still on the smaller side and I don't have to worry about him growing to 10 pounds in the next few days), and the technician got a little choked up when looking at the little pulsating blobs that are the chambers of his heart -- she said "it was beautiful" and I'm thinking she probably needs to get out more. All in all, he scored a possible 10 out of 10. So he's perfectly healthy, I'm perfectly healthy (if uncomfortable and totally ready to have my body back). For whatever reason, for me, pregnancy lasts longer than it does for the average woman. I'm hoping he comes this week, because of aforementioned discomfort -- at this point, sleeping is inching closer to torture every night -- and because my Mom arrives on Wednesday for a week and I don't want her to to completely miss the baby. But there's no reason for consternation. No reason to be anything but happy and excited. So, until there's more to report....

1 comment:

Poppy said...

My dearest daughter:

Your loving father is thrilled by all this activity, but wishes that the kid would just make his appearance so you can get back to being the delightful young lady I have always known you to be.

Thanks for keeping us informed. We who know you and love you will be doing a mystical chant that does something like this:

Oooom, Teddy. Come forth and be part of the natural world. Ooooom, Teddy. Your mom is tired of this pregnancy thing and needs you to stop holding on to that umbilical cord and to take your rightful place in society! : >

C'mon, kid. Make your appearance already!