Friday, January 23, 2009

Lil at 12 months

Won't you be my neighbor?


Can you believe she's a year???? We're trying to decide if we're going to continue the monthly photos. Got an opinion? Leave us a comment. Maybe we could select a new venue to keep it fresh, as they say in the magazine world.

(Speaking of the magazine world, yet another title is biting the dust: WonderTime. It was the only parenting magazine I liked. It's editorial offices were in Northampton, Mass., which is a great town. It was eclectic and interesting and thoughtful and I was going to start pitching them. Sigh... I know every industry has it rough, but why can't some of the annoying magazines be the ones to falter? My other fave, Cottage Living, closed a few months ago. If there's a magazine you love, subscribe!! In fact, please consider subscribing to Body + Soul. I'm a contributing editor there and I love working with them and I want them to stay healthy. OK, rant/plea over.)

And now, back to the baby...

Here's what Lil's been up to the last month:
Clapping
Waving
Dancing
Banging her drum
Shaking her head back and forth
Saying "Hoo!" a lot
Eating grapes, pretzels, and the ever-popular mini toasts

I'm on baby duty on Tuesdays, and Lil and I started taking a music class on Tuesday mornings. We all sit on the floor and the teacher dumps a big bin of maracas in the middle of the floor and all the kids wander over to grab some and then we sing a song and shake our maracas. It's really fun. And Keri Russell (star of the best TV show ever, "Felicity", and the fabulous movie "Waitress") and her son River are in our class! Very glamorous and exciting. I'm sure it's just a question of time until we become BFFs.

Lil has also been going through another teething spurt, working on no less than 4 teeth. Sadly, her newly-formed sleep habits have flown right out the window for the last two weeks because of it--she's been waking up in the middle of the night again and taking crap naps. Last night she slept through again and she had a decent nap today, so hopefully we're pulling out of the downward spiral.

No real sign of imminent walking. She stands solidly, but she's still pretty content with doing laps around the coffee table. She'd much rather climb.

We took her to the circus for her first birthday. When the lights first went down and the music started playing, she immediately started crying and Scott and I thought we could be in for two eternal hours. But then she seemed to get in to it, particularly the hoop-hopping dogs and the trapeze artists. It was the Big Apple Circus, which is a local, old-fashioned circus (no tigers or elephants).

And we had a lovely party for her with our friends Mary Beth and Giulio and their son, Adriano (who was born the day after Lil). I've got lots of photos to post--I'll try to get to it this weekend.

Here are some other 12 month photos for your viewing pleasure:



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a less than neutral observer, I think regular updates are to be encouraged. What is every day for the parents is a source of wonder and joy to those of us outside the New York diaspora.

I have heard her "Hoo" comments and seen her circumnavigate the coffee table and I can tell you all of it was enthralling! (;~>)

Daily is too much. Monthly is too little. Weekly may be too tedious. But a coupla times a month, when the spirit moves you, would be just about perfect!